CICC, the 45-year-old Center for the Improvement of Child Caring, is proud to announce and publish the 2019 Updated Version of its National Model Program for Parents of African American Children, CICC’s Effective Black Parenting Program! This is the program’s first update since its 1996 edition.
THIS CURRENT UPDATING INCLUDES COVERAGE OF A WIDE RANGE OF NEW OR EXPANDED TOPICS AND ISSUES:
• The Impact of the Obama Presidency on Building the Pyramid of Success for Black Children, including the stirring Encouragement of Black Youth by Michelle Obama and the relationship between How Michelle was raised and what is taught in the Program.
• Protecting Children from Police Brutality through the Use of Family Rules About What To Do When Stopped by Law Enforcement Officers.
• An Expanded Awareness of the Impact of Slavery on African American Life in the USA as produced by Contemporary African American Scholars and Authorities.
• The American Academy of Pediatrics’ latest views on Spanking and Discipline.
• New Handouts for Parents on such matters as What To Say When You Praise or Disapprove.
• Expanded Appreciation about Family Diversity in African American Communities.
• Clarification Regarding Diversity Among Children.
• Use of Ideas from the New Confidant Parenting Program.
• Use of the Internet to gain a fuller Appreciation of Parenting and Child Development.
• Latest Information on Drugs including Changes in Laws about Marijuana Usage.
• The Importance of Using All of the Program’s Technical Aides.
HOW THE UPDATED PROGRAM IS PRESENTED
These Updates are found in the 22 page Introduction and Acknowledgements Chapter at the beginning of the new Updated Version of the Instructor’s Manual. The updates relate to the sections in the 1996 Parent’s Handbook and are intended to be used with that Handbook, which is organized into the 15 Sessions of the Program.
Examples would be where the topics having to do with Barack and Michelle Obama and the topics regarding the Expanded Awareness of the Impact of Slavery, that the Instructor is to use,
are to be presented in the Handbook Sessions where they are most relevant. It is in these ways that the New Manual and the 1996 Parent’s Handbook are used in conjunction with each other. They complement each other.
The Updated Instructor Manual and the 1996 Parent’s Handbooks are now available at the Shop/Books page of the CICC website, http://www.mcssl.com/store/ciccparenting/the-effective-black-parenting-program .
The Manual is 346 pages in length and costs $200.00. The Handbook is 152 pages long, plus an additional insert of 5 Handouts from the Updated Manual. The cost per Handbook is $35.00.
There is also a publication that just contains the Introduction and Acknowledgements Chapter from the Manual. This is available FREE of charge as a Digital Download on Shop/Books.
OTHER USES OF THE UPDATED INSTRUCTOR MANUAL
The Updated Instructor Manual is now part of the Complete Instructor’s Kit for the Program, which costs $485.00. The Updated Manual will be used in all Instructor Training Workshops that are taught from mid-2019 forward.